GOOEY STICKY SPICED FLAPJACKS
think cappuccino….me time!
Just 10 mins to ponder, to think, to reset your mind and a nibble of these delicious gooey sticky spiced flapjacks with your favourite drink!
I don’t know about you but I forever spend time down the “healthy snack aisle” trying to choose the best breakfast bar to have with my tea. After reading and comparing all the ingredients, the fat/sugar content, not to mention the calorie counting, I am none the wiser. Then there’s the price. The number of flapjacks in each pack will barely last you the week and they call this value. They also never quite have enough nuts in there for me, or are a little too sweet. Whatever your preference you can easily make these yourself and to your liking.
Make them on a Sunday, so you have a healthier snack to eat during the week, instead of reaching for that bag of crisps or chocolate, as I invariably do!
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 225 g soft light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Winter Spice Blend
- 150 g mixed nuts , such as hazelnuts and walnuts
- 100 g mixed dried fruit
- 350 g rolled porridge oats
- Baking tray or foil tray, lined with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC
- Grease and line a foil tray (20cm x 30cm)
- Place the butter, sugar, honey, winter spice and salt in a medium pan over a low heat, then allow the butter to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the nuts and any larger dried fruit, then stir them into the pan along with the oats.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin/tray, smoothing it out into an even layer, with the back of a spoon or spatula
- Place in the hot oven for 35 minutes, or until golden around the edges.
- Leave to cool completely, then cut into squares and serve.
I used giant rolled oats as that’s what I had in my pantry. I also threw in some pitted dates. You can add whatever you have leftover in your kitchen. Ensure that the dry ingredients you use, in total, are 250 g (between nuts and fruit)
Other suggestions for nuts you can use would be walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, salted peanuts (not roasted), macadamia, almonds, Brazil, cashew, pecan. Similarly dried fruit from sultanas, raisins, figs, apricots, dates and cranberries
Adding more nuts will give the gooey sticky spiced flapjacks a bit of crunch, but the chewy sweetness with a little hint of spice will make them feel indulgent!