SWEETCORN CURRY – Simple & Easy
Sweetcorn curry, easy to make, great for kids and delicious too. This one is a firm favourite for my brother and I. I guess we grew up in the days when Indian vegetables were hard to come by and my mother had to make do.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tins of sweetcorn (800g)
- 1 tin of plum/chopped/fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 ground cumin
- 3/4 ground coriander
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- fresh coriander
- Dice the onions
- Blizt the tomatoes into a puree with a handheld blender
- squeeze the juice out of 1/2 a lemon
- Roughly wash and chop the coriander
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat
- Add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds and place the lid on
- The cumin seeds will fizz and the mustard seeds will start to pop.
- Once you can hear the popping noises of the spices, add the finely diced onions
- Allow the onions to cook until golden but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, together with all the ground spices, stir and leave to cook on a low to medium heat for at least 5 minutes
- Now add the sweetcorn and completely coat in the tomato sauce and cook for a further 3-4 mins
- Lastly add the juice from 1/2 a lemon.
- Taste. Add more spices if you need to and let it simmer for another 3 mins
- Sprinkle chopped coriander. Serve with rice or a simple dollop of plain yogurt
This sweetcorn curry recipe can be made with frozen sweetcorn as well as corn on the cob. However you will need to boil these before hand or cook them in a pressure cooker for 15 mins before adding them to the tomato base