Spiced Piri-Piri Popcorn
Bored of the same old popcorn?
Here’s a simple alternative to sweet or salty popcorn.
A popcorn made with The Spice Yard Piri Piri Blend mixed with butter* and drizzled with syrup.
Its spicy, sweet, tangy and comes with an “Irresistible munching” warning!
Make this with the young ones as it’s fun, easy and involves no flour.
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g popcorn kernels (usually found near the bags of popcorn or try the World food aisle as sometimes cheaper)
- 40 g butter or vegan butter such as Vitalite
- 3 tbsp Golden syrup
- 1 tsp Piri-Piri spice blend(feel free to add more if you like it really spicy)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in the large pan on a medium to high heat. Place ONE kernel in the large pan and place the lid on. Once the kernel pops, you know the oil and pan are hot enough.
- Tip in the kernels and immediately place the lid on the large pan. Wait for the popping to commence, once the popping slows down, lower the heat.
- Meanwhile in another small pan, melt the butter, syrup and Piri-Piri spice on a medium to low heat. Don’t let the butter burn. Keep stirring. It may boil and thicken slightly and that’s fine.
- Add salt to the melted butter if you want to.
- Take the popcorn off the heat completely, at this point you shouldn’t hear anymore popping but BEWARE there could be the odd rogue kernel that will pop later.
- Spread the pop corn out on a tray.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the popcorn and allow to cool.
- You can also pour the butter mixture into the large pan and mix well, if you find it easier to do it this way round. Remember to allow a little longer for the popcorn to cool down, if you are mixing in the pan.