Piri-piri salmon with tasty vegetable quinoa GF
INGREDIENTS (Serves 1)
- 1/2 tsp Piri Piri Spice blend
- 150 g salmon fillet
- 1 tbsp oil
- Lemon juice
- salt and pepper
For piri piri vegetable quinoa:
- 110 g Quinoa
- 1/2 medium onion diced (red or brown)
- 80 g Peppers diced or sliced
- 55 g Broccoli cut into small florets
- 40 g Baby corn sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Piri piri spice blend
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- Spring onion chopped (optional)
- a handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Pat dry the salmon fillet and place in a shallow bowl or dish.
- Mix the oil, piri piri spice and juice from 1/2 a lemon in a separate bowl.
- Marinate the salmon with the piri piri mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the salmon with cling film and place in the fridge whilst you prepare the quinoa and vegetables
- Wash the quinoa in a sieve under cold water, to get rid of the bitter taste.
- Place the quinoa in a pan with double the amount of salted water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins, don’t let the quinoa stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Dice the onions, peppers and baby corn, ensure the broccoli florets are even to each other, if not cut them down to size.
- In a frying pan add the oil, then cumin seeds and allow them to crackle but not burn.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until they just start to turn colour but still have a crunch to them.
- Stir fry the broccoli first for 1-2 mins, then add the peppers and baby corn.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of the piri piri spice, salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook until all the vegetables are “al dente”
- Add the quinoa to the frying pan and mix. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Add juice from 1/2 lemon to the quinoa, then some chopped coriander, to finish off.
- Take the salmon out of the fridge and pan fry it,skin side down,in the oil
- Turn the salmon over and fry for a further 1-2 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Plate up with the quinoa on the bottom and the salmon laid on top.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and/or chopped spring onions.
- You can drizzle spinach & coriander pesto (see recipe) over the top of the salmon