Spice Crusted Whole Baked Fish Recipe
Whether its a quick mid week meal or looking to impress for your dinner party, this recipe can do both with ease. The slightly coarse dill and coriander seeds works well as a herb based spice crust
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 4 tbs Spice Crust Blend
- 800 g of whole fish (scaled and gutted) e.g. seabass. red snapper, mackerel
- 3 tbs rapeseed oil/veg oil for blend
- 8 tbs breadcrumbs
- 60 g finely chopped parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- juice of half lemon
- lemon slices
- In a shallow glass bowl mix breadcrumbs, parsley, 3 tbs of SPICE CRUST BLEND with 2-3 tbsp oil
- Season with salt and pepper and add the juice of half a lemon.
- Taste and add more seasoning and lemon juice if required
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Pat dry the fish with a kitchen paper towel
- Score the fish. Cut slits using a knife, deep enough to cut through the skin. keep them an inch apart across the top of the fish
- Season both sides of the fish and the inner cavity with salt and pepper and place them on the prepared tray.
- Rub the inside of the cavity of the fish with 1 tbs of the SPICE CRUST BLEND
- Further stuff the inside cavity of the fish with the breadcrumb mixture and the slices of lemon
- With the remaining mixture, generously cover the fish with the spice crust mixture all over
- Allow to stand for as little as 30 mins.
- Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fillets. Place in oven at 180 degrees fan asst for 10-15 mins*
- Finish off under a hot grill for a couple of minutes to allow the spices to turn into a crust topping.
*Fish is cooked when it has lost its translucency and is white.