BLOOD ORANGE DRIZZLE CAKE
Blood oranges remind me of Spain, summer sunshine and sweetness like nectar. This delicious drizzle cake is really easy to make and perfect if you are trying to use up any oranges. The decoration is optional.
- 200 g soft unsalted butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g self rising flour
- 11/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- zest of one blood orange/orange
- 1 teaspoon of orange flavouring (optional)
Drizzle & Decoration
- juice of one orange
- 50 g granulated sugar
- slices of blood orange/orange
- 50 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- take the butter out of the fridge
- zest the orange with a grater
- squeeze the juice out of the orange
- mix the eggs and milk together in a jug and give it a good whisk
- line a loaf tin with a strip of baking paper down the middle and up the sides
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Firstly, mix the butter and caster sugar until creamy
- Add the eggs and milk to the butter and sugar and continue to mix
- Fold in the flour and baking powder to make a smooth batter
- Tip in the zest of one orange and fold
- Lastly. add the orange flavouring if want a stronger flavour
- Pour the cake mixture into the loaf tin
- Place in the oven for 35 mins
- To check if the cake is ready, poke the cake with a skewer and if it comes out clean its ready! If the other hand, the mixture sticks to the skewer, pop the cake back in for a further 5 mins.
- Whilst the cake is still in the tin, poke holes in the cake.
- Mix the granulated sugar and orange juice together and pour over the cake, so that it seeps into the holes and through the sponge
- Lastly decorate by adding the candied slices to the top of the cake
- In a pan heat the sugar and water on a medium heat. Allow the mixture to become a little sticky.
- Add in the orange slices and lower then heat for 20 mins.
- Turn the slices every 5 mins during the 20 mins
- Take out and place on baking paper to cool down