Spinach & Coriander Pesto Gluten Free; Vegan, Vegetarian
- 100 g spinach, washed
- 30 g fresh coriander
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 – 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green chilli
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
I use my Nutri bullet for this recipe, but you can also use a chopper or blender
- Add cashew nuts into chopper/blender and ensure the nuts are ground but NOT to a fine powder.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender and 5-10 ml of water and whizz until ingredients are combined
- If your blender is on the small side, blitz the spinach and coriander first, as the volume will soon decrease, to make room for the other ingredients
- The consistency should be like ketchup, with a bit of graininess from the nuts.
- Taste and add salt and lemon juice if needed
- I don’t add any oil to this recipe, as the nuts will release their natural oils once ground.
- Best eaten on the day however, place in a bowl and cover with cling film for up to 4 days, after which, the colour will start to fade and begin to brown
- You can substitute the Spinach and coriander for any leafy herbs try a mixture from basil, parsley, mint and even chive
- Traditional pesto uses pine nuts, but cashew, peanuts, macadamia, hazelnuts (blanched), almonds (blanched) all work equally well
- This is a great way of using up any leftover herbs and nuts.